Haldi is considered very important function of Indian Wedding, in fact a very auspicious celebration, almost every couple is applied haldi on their wedding. Haldi function in Indian wedding is celebrated with full zeal, it is no less than Holi. It is one of the big functions of a wedding, brides these days are getting designer outfits even for their Haldi function. Not only this but also fun games are organized on Haldi day, along with lavish decor and food.
Undoubtedly, the Haldi celebration is one of the fun celebrations of Indian wedding, but the stain which haldi leaves on skin especially if the bride is fair doesn’t look good. Also, the nails and the hands do become bright yellow, because haldi is applied all over the body. We understand your concern, ‘how to get rid of those yellow stains without losing the glow that it gives?’ Here is a list of DO’s for removing those yellow stains and look as perfect as a bride should do in her wedding.
DO’s Before Application of Haldi
1. Before people start applying haldi onto you, make sure that you apply a light coat of oil or a thick coat of moisturizer all over your body.
2. Haldi is actually used as ubtan in a wedding, it is one of the ingredient of ubtan for the wedding. You can also get ubtan of sandalwood and just add a pinch of turmeric powder in it. Like this you won’t get those yellow stains afterwards.
3. Make sure that the Haldi is not mixed with water, instead the paste should be made of turmeric powder with honey and raw milk or either of the one. These two basically cancel out the staining and leave your skin glowing not stained.
4. Type of Haldi also plays very important ole. Make sure that you pick the right type of turmeric. More often than not, people use the one that is used in the kitchen, that isn’t the right one. Today, we have too many organic brands are available, you can pick any organic variety, which doesn’t have artificial coloring.
5. Another option is kasturi turmeric to use for your haldi function, as, it is absolutely non-staining.
6. Make ubtan with curd or besan, and mixing a pinch of Haldi in either a cup of yoghurt or besan is a best way to dilute the stark color, and still you will get the whole benefit of the Haldi!
7. If you have a sensitive skin, using Vicco Turmeric instead of Haldi is another option. Vicco Turmeric is a safer option. It does not stain and has that perfect bright yellow color which you’d need for Haldi photos too! Also, you can mix a pinch of haldi powder in Vicco Turmeric once you take it out in a bowl so that it becomes brighter yellow and Haldi also become part of it.
8. Be cautious of your hair too, tie your hair in a bun otherwise later when you will bathe, it will be a huge problem. If at all you want to leave them open, applying a little oil all over your hair will be a great idea.
9. Your nails do become yellow after your Haldi ceremony, make sure you apply nice coat of Vaseline all over your nails so that your manicure and pedicure is not tarnished and stained later.
10. For prohibiting nails from staining, you can also apply a clear coat of nail paint. As, the nail paint won’t let any haldi stain stay on your nails.
DO’s After Application for Getting Rid of the Stains
11. Since you have got the stains and all you have to do is to remove them to look stain free in your wedding pictures. Warm a little coconut oil or some olive oil or castor oil, apply this warm oil all over your body and gently massage the skin. Wash off with a gentle cleanser. Repeat the process if stains are there still.
Doing this will retain your glow and the oils (olive, castor and coconut) are all rich oils, they won’t let your skin dry.
12. Scrub your skin with the mixture of lemon and sugar. Lemon-and-sugar are considered to be a great exfoliator, scrubbing with this mix your skin will become cleaner as well as glowing!
13. You can buy a toner with alcohol or pure witch hazel beforehand, if you are not comfortable with home-made remedies. Toner with alcohol helps in exfoliating the stains away.
14. You can also use apple cider vinegar and water, as apple cider is considered one of the best natural toner. All you have to do is to mix equal parts of the apple cider vinegar and water and use.
15. Milk is good too! Yeah, the properties milk has can’t be ignored at all. Milk has lactic acid in it which is a great help in removing turmeric stains. All you need to do is take a cotton ball dip it in the raw milk bowl, now just simply apply this cotton ball saturated with raw milk on your face and body. Then rub it with a fresh cotton ball, this will help you get rid of the stain easily.
16. Micellar water! You must have seen this new cleanser Alia Bhatt advertise it. You must have seen Alia removing the toughest lipstick stains, so I suppose removing haldi stains won’t be a task for Micellar water. Also, it’s gentle on the skin!
17. You can also use lemon to remove the stain from your body and face. Just cut the lemon into two, squeeze it, make it soft and just rub the lemon on your body gently. Lemon can take off all the stains.
18. You can also make a mask of organic honey with lemon and apply the mask on your face and body after you are done with bathing. The mixture of both I great for skin as the lemon will help to take off all the pending stains while the honey will help you keep your skin glowing!
19. Shaving foam! Yes the ones which your father or brother uses. The shaving foam consists hydrogen peroxide that can help in getting rid of the yellow stain. But, this can only be used for legs and arms and not for the face. Simply apply the foam on the parts where stains are and wipe it off using a cotton ball. Repeat it a few times if your stains are not gone completely.
20. If your nails are also stained, then apply a mix of baking soda and lemon juice and scrub your nails gently with the mixture!
21. Baking soda with water can also be a great help in removing the stains from nails. Just apply the concoction and wash up with soap and water.
22. While bathing add rose water to your bath water.
23. Do not moisturize your skin immediately after taking bath. As, moisturizer may lock the stains which are not gone yet.
24. Remove stains from nails with Hydrogen Peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is known as a powerful bleaching agent, make sure you use it wisely. Just 3% of hydrogen peroxide is enough for the procedure. Dilute 1 tablespoon of Hydrogen Peroxide in 2 tablespoons of water, dip a cotton ball in the concoction and rub it on the stain.
25. Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon for nails, just add apple cider vinegar with equal quantity of water and dip a cotton ball in the concoction and rub your nails with the vinegar saturated cotton balls to remove the stains.
Also, you can rub a half cut lemon on the nails to remove the stains to great extent.
Well, I believe all the above mentioned remedies are good for removing turmeric stains from skin and nails after getting down and dirty yellow with turmeric. These are simple procedures which can be used by any skin type. Still, if you have any allergy or some irritation you can test the remedy on your hand before using it on your face.
All the best for your Haldi celebration…. Enjoy your haldi to the fullest as now you don’t have to worry about the stains which might have ruined your skin tone otherwise.