Wedding day approaching hmm… and the biggest fear you have now is your weight. Of course we understand your desire to look your absolute best on your wedding. And why not? After all it is your wedding the once-in-a-lifetime event, you have the right dress, the right looks planned and the right accessories gathered. The only thing which you have to make sure is that you have the right weight. Now the question is how? This seems to be the biggest question of all time for almost all the would-be brides or even grooms sometimes. After all it’s your wedding.
When you have prepared everything best for your wedding from your wedding attire to persona, your makeup to the hairstyle, the venue to decor, but the number one priority for every bride to-be is to get fit and toned for the biggest day of her life and i.e., her wedding. Those gorgeous wedding pictures don’t come easy; you surely have to work for it and sweat it out to get that perfect bridal weight loss that you envision.
Here are the steps to be followed before you start your weight lose regime just before your wedding:
- First thing first, identify your problem areas. Yes, it crucial that you identify your problem area first so that you know how to start working and which area to focus more on like: your tummy, or your thighs, or your hips, or your upper arms, or your chin, or your arms, or your waistline and so on. Knowing your problem area before starting any regime will help you be more focused.
- Secondly, you need to weigh yourself. Yes, it is important that you take your initial weight before starting any regime. If you do so then you can easily keep a track on your weight.
- Thirdly, it is very important that you are positive about your weight loss program. Why I am telling this because there are many people I have seen who start something in order to lose their weight but are not positive about the process. They are so negative about their weight that they doubt anything and everything they do, which is a great hindrance in your progress. You have to be positive and optimistic about your plans and progress. You may not achieve 100% results overnight, you must know this.
There are brides who expect results in a week’s time which is nearly impossible I tell you. Results take time so in case of weight loss also nothing will come early, it will surely take time and you have to give time some time to bring forth the positive results. Don’t lose hope in any case. It is essential that you stay positive and optimistic, as losing hope takes you nowhere and there is no point also.
The best time to start any regime for your weight loss is about 8-10 weeks or 6-8 weeks before the big day. Anything later and you won’t be able to focus completely on one thing as you will have to run around for your wedding preparation.
Ideas to lose weight just before your wedding
Here are some weight-loss plans for you that will help you lose weight before your big day, and help you get ready and dazzling for your wedding. A perfect bride that people will not be able to take their eyes off. Here are some best ways to lose weight faster and get that perfect bridal figure that you desire for the big day:
1. EXERCISE FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Exercising daily is must not only to maintain a perfect weight, but also to have a healthy lifestyle. Before your wedding, you have to start an exercise regime for yourself, which however focuses more on your problem areas. For an instance if your thigh area is heavy and you need to work on that then you have to do more of squats and lunges will help you lose your thigh fat faster. If your tummy is the problem area then exercises such as planks, pilates, crunches, side crunches, lunge twist etc. can help you reduce your tummy fat faster.
Here is your 45 minutes interval training. You need to do 3 sets of the below mentioned exercises.
- Squats for 2 minutes
- Walking/jogging on stairs for 2 minutes
- Press-ups and dips with a sturdy chair (alternatively) for 2 minutes
- Jumping jacks, knee-lifts, jogging on the spot (10 times each)
- Planks and sit-ups (30 seconds for planks and 12 sit-ups. Repeat.)
- Rest for 1 minute between each exercise. Then start all over again and repeat
2. YOGA FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Yoga is an ancient practice, which is considered to be the most therapeutic activity. Yoga is not mere exercise, it is a way of life! Doing yoga will essentially help you have harmony in the body, mind, breath, and spirit. Yoga will not only heal the body, mind, and soul, but also it will allow you to be more flexible. It also promotes relaxation even in the most stressful of times.
Here is a simple yoga routine to shed that excess fat. The routine consist of various yoga poses in which you will move from one posture to the next with the objective to stimulate your metabolism, which is a must for burning the extra fat from the body. Here are the poses…
A) Surya Namaskara – (Sun Salutation)
You should always begin your asana practice with Surya Namaskara, as it warms up the body and also it prepares you for further asana practices.
- Includes 12 steps sequence or rhythmic movements which are synced with the breath. Two such rounds make one cycle.
- Start with Prayer pose (known as Pranamasana), then move to Raised arms pose (Hastauttanasana) after that Hand to foot pose (Hasta Padasana)
- Next is Equestrian pose (Ashwa Sanchalanasana) in the series, then Stick pose (Dandasana)
- Then Salute with eight parts or points (Ashtanga Namaskara), then Cobra pose (Bhujangasana)
- Mountain pose (Parvatasana), then Equestrian pose (Ashwa Sanchalanasana), Hand to foot pose (Hasta Padasana)
- Raised Arms Pose (Astauttanasana) and last is Standing Mountain pose (Tadasana)
- Repeat 5 – 10 times.
B) Utkatasana – (Chair Pose)
This is the posture which works on toning your legs as well as your core, and is a great pose to tone your lower body also.
- All you have to do is to start with your feet together, spine long very much aligned with your neck and head.
- Now pull your navel close to the spine and tighten the abdominal muscles. Tuck your tailbone in and keep your hips squared.
- Inhale and take your arms over your head, your arms should be aligned with your ears.
- Exhale and come in squat position, pushing your hips back and leaning forward slightly so that your torso and thighs make a 45-degree angle with each other.
- Adjust your posture so that your knees are arranged above your ankles and your toes are visible.
- Tilt your head in such a way that you gaze at your fingertips.
- Hold the posture for one minute and then relax.
- Repeat it 2 – 4 times
C) Parivritta Parsvakonasana – (Revolved Side Angle Pose)
This pose stimulate detoxification. This is very simple pose which has a twist it comes with variations. You can intensify or simplify the posture according to your flexibility and requirements.
- Take a deep breath and exhale, while exhaling bring your palms to heart center.
- Now, inhale and place your right leg, approximately three feet away from your left leg. Tuck your right toes and bend your left knee deeper in a way that your left thigh comes parallel to the floor.
- Exhale and now twist to your left side, bring your right elbow outside the left thigh and gaze up.
- Hold the posture for a minute and then relax
- Repeat 2-4 times
D) Chaturanga Dandasana – (Low Plank/Yoga Push-up)
This yoga posture is to tone your core, back and arms. For this first you can try the normal plank if you think your arms are not strong enough or in case you have any back or shoulder injuries. Also, if you have any wrist or elbow injuries that it is advisable to refrain from practicing this posture.
- Take a deep breath, exhale and place your left foot close to your right foot. Adjust your palms so that wrists are beneath your shoulders.
- Now, inhale and as you exhale, just lower your body parallel and close to the floor. Adjust yourself in a way that your entire body is aligned and in a straight line. Your hand should be bent in 90 degree at the elbow.
- Keep lifting your chest up, keeping your core and leg muscles engaged and making sure that your shoulders and elbows are inline.
- Hold the posture for a minute.
- Repeat 2-3 times
E) Dhanurasana – (Bow Pose)
This is a perfect yoga pose which works on your entire body, while stretching and toning it. Additionally, it helps you remove toxins from your digestive system.
- Lie down on your tummy.
- Now, inhale, release your body to the floor, your hands extended backward, and stretch out your legs. Let your forehead rest on the floor in front of you.
- Now slowly bend your knees and bring your feet close to your buttocks.
- Hold your ankles with your respective hands.
- On an inhale, lift your forehead and chest off the floor, while balancing yourself on your abdomen. Now, slowly pull your legs away from your body as much as possible in the same position.
- Keep your gaze forward and hold the posture for a minute, while breathing deeply.
- Exhale and slowly release your legs and arms.
- Lie down on your abdomen and relax.
- Let your palms rest on either side of your chest.
- Repeat 2 – 3 times.
F) Parvatasana – (Mountain Pose)
This yoga pose not only stretches and strengthens your entire body, but also de-stress your body and mind, and stimulate an enhanced flow of blood. Also, it promotes digestion and help you have toned arms and legs.
- Take a deep breath. As you exhale, press your palms on the floor, tuck your toes, and now push your body off the floor, while lifting your hips and tailbone to the ceiling.
- Adjust your posture in such a way that your heels move closer to the floor and tailbone towards the ceiling. Now, stack your wrists under your shoulders while you spread your fingers wide.
- Let your head be hung in between your forearms.
- Your gaze should be at your abdomen and hold the posture, while engaging your core and glutes for a minute.
- Repeat 2 – 3 times
G) Parivritta Parsvakonasana – (Revolved Side Angle Pose)
- Take a deep breath and lift your right leg up into the sky.
- Now, exhale and place your right foot in between your palms. Tuck your left toes and bend your right knee deeper in a way that your right thigh comes parallel to the floor
- Now, join your palms at your heart center.
- Exhale and twist to your right, bring your left elbow outside the right thigh while gazing up. Hold the posture for one minute and release.
- Repeat 2 – 3 times
H) Bhujangasana – (Cobra Pose)
Bhujangasana is an easy pose and very good for loosing tummy weight. Also, it has numerous benefits such as it is a great stretch for the front body. Also, it increases pranic force which is good to boost your energy.
- All you have to do is just lie down on your belly with chin touching the ground.
- While hands are placed close to the shoulders with palms touching the ground; keeping legs straight. Press your palms firmly against the floor.
- As you inhale, lift up your trunk, using your palms as support, while belly button touching the ground, and your gaze towards the ceiling.
- Keeping your hips steady, remain in this position for 15-20 seconds and then release.
- Repeat 3-4 times
However, besides exercises your diet also plays an important role in your weight loss. Doing only exercises and not controlling your diet will not help you achieve desired results. Diet plays a crucial role when it comes to shedding those extra pounds you have stored in your body. You need to focus on your diet too like eating healthy and balanced diet. Here are few diet plans which you can follow to reduce weight just before your wedding.
3. DIET FOR WEIGHT LOSS
A) 16:8 Hours Diet Plan
This is gaining popularity all these days and it is very effective diet plan for the people who are looking to shed extra pounds and to detoxify their body. In the plan all you have to do is to eat for 8 hours and fast for 16 hours in a day.
How you ask…
- In this pattern you don’t have to eat breakfast. You can choose any time of 8 hours for eating such as: 11 AM to 7 PM or 12 PM to 8 PM or 1 PM to 9 PM. You can choose any time from these three and eat accordingly.
- Make sure you don’t eat anything during your fasting hours.
- All you can drink while fasting is lot of water or green tea.
- While for 8 hours you should eat only limited and avoid junk food absolutely, like you can have a complete meal as your first meal when you start and after a gap of four hours you can have juice.
- For last meal make sure you eat light like steamed rice, vegetable soup, boiled or steamed vegetables etc.
- Make sure you don’t eat anything after your last meal and drink only water or green tea.
- Avoid junk food and consumption of tea, coffee, smoking and alcohol.
B) Eat Small Meals for Weight Loss
Another plan for your weight loss is to eat small meals for your weight loss. You can choose to eat three large meals and two small meals.
- You have to eat after every 3 hours
- Make sure your timings are fixed. Your routine will be: Your breakfast at 8:30 AM, eat some fruit at 11:30 AM and lunch at 2 PM or 2:30 PM, in the evening have juice or buttermilk or handful of dry fruits and at dinner eat light food like soup or boiled veggies etc.
- Make sure you finish your dinner before 8 PM
- Make sure there is a gap of at least three hours in your eating and your bed time.
C) Ketogenic Diet
Another very famous diet these days is ketogenic diet, it is currently gaining popularity these days as it is considered to be one of the fastest ways to lose weight. The concept of keto diet is to “eat fat to lose fat”
- The ketogenic (keto) diet is a low-carb diet.
- On this diet, you eat only 20-50g of carbohydrates per day, and most of this diet consists of good fat.
- A lot of protein intake is there in keto diet.
- Keto diet will turn your body into a fat-burning machine.
- It is a very good diet option for non-vegetarian and egg-eatarians. As people get too much of protein from fish, meat and eggs in this.
- However, vegetarians have relatively less options for such diet plans.
- Your body enters a metabolic state called ketosis when you follow keto diet plan, it is basically a fat-burning mode.
- It is very good for weight loss, glycemic control and increased mental and physical energy.
- Keto diet also helps you to improve blood lipids, reduce inflammation and prevent cancer.
- If you want to start keto, do visit a dietician for this diet as he would be the right person to tell you the exact weight loss keto diet for your body type.
D) Diet Plan for Weight Loss
For losing weight you can follow this diet plan also:
- Morning breakfast: Eat only vegetable Dalia or Oats with milk and few dry fruits or fruits
- Lunch: Daal with two small thin chapatis with curd and salad.
- Dinner: Eat only a bowl of moong daal or a bowl of boiled veggies.
E) Fruit & Vegetable Diet for Weight Loss
Lastly, you can eat only seasonal vegetables and seasonal fruits. Eating boiled veggies and seasonal fruit also promotes fast weight loss. Also, it helps to detoxify your body which ultimately bring dazzle and spark on your skin too. Your skin will be lustrous and your body will be in shape before you wedding.
Also, there are misconceptions that eating only veggies and fruits can make you weak, nothing like that as it helps you remove all the toxins from the body, and thereby detoxifying it completely. Veggies especially greens, reds and other colored contains all the essential minerals and vitamins to keep you healthy and hydrated. Veggies like tomato, spinach, beetroot, cucumber, etc., are very good for weight loss. Fruits which are good for weight loss includes: papaya, apple, watermelon, muskmelon, kiwi, etc. You can have lot of fruit while you follow this regime.
Follow this regime for a month and you will see tremendous weight loss before you wedding. While you plan a diet for yourself make sure you do not munch in between. Munching in between don’t let your body work for itself as you keep yourself busy in eating which is not a nice habit especially when you are in the process of losing weight.
4. FASTING FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Fasting is another very effective way to lose weight. There are so many type of fasting these days to lose weight. Fasting not only has weight loss benefits, but also it has spiritual benefits. Fasting helps cleanse your body from within. Fasting has become more popular in recent years as it is considered a quickest way to lose weight. Fasting, is a method of restricting food intake. It has been practiced for thousands of years. There are many ways of fasting such as juice fasting, water fasting and so on. Here are some of them:
A) Juice Fasting for Weight Loss
Juice fasting for weight loss is very, very effective and it gives results faster. Juice fasting not only help you in weight loss, but also it helps to detoxify your body. It is a good approach and you will not feel low in energy also, as many people think it may happen then let me tell you it is a myth.
Juice Fasting is a very good way to lose weight. You may even lose about 2 – 4 kg during a One-week juice fasting. But remember that you will gain back most of this weight once you return to normal food. It is highly recommended that you follow a controlled diet after the fast can help in maintaining the weight reduction. A juice cleansing or fasting program is a good time to observe our mind closely. It will help you understand your food habits and cravings. This understanding will further help you control the food compulsions after the fast, thereby helping in weight loss.
- You can start with a one week juice cleanse program. During a juice fasting or cleansing, there will be a constant supply of calories and nutrients which are there in juices, partially meeting your daily needs. A One-week juice fast can be a fantastic cleansing program giving your physical, mental and spiritual benefits which I think is a must for your wedding day.
- A 7-day juice cleanse or fasting can be done either at home or at a retreat center under supervision of doctors there.
- As the first step for any fast is to prepare yourself mentally for that. Not everybody knows that our body is capable of surviving on just water for many weeks. Therefore, a one-week juice cleanse is very easy for the body to handle, you don’t have to worry. Just in case you have some chronic medical condition, you should visit a doctor to consult the same before attempting it.
- Once you are ready for attempting the fasting, make sure you eat light and in moderation on the previous day of the fast, especially at night. You may eat just fruits or boiled vegetables. Your digestive system should not be overloaded before starting the fasting.
- Before starting keep a good stock of fresh fruits and vegetables of your choice. Good to get organically grown fruits and vegetables, if available. Soak your fruits and vegetables for few minutes in a 2% saline solution as it will effectively remove the residual pesticides and preservatives from the skin of the fruits and vegetables.
- Fruit which you can use for making juices includes orange, grapes, tangerine, pomegranate, watermelon, lemon, passion fruit, apple, guava, strawberries, blueberries, etc. You can consume coconut water in between. Also, for vegetable juices you can keep carrot, beetroot, cucumber, spinach, tomato, celery, parsley, kale, turnip, etc.
- Get a good clean juicer, most preferred is a cold press or a hand press juicer. Centrifugal juicers can also be used but they have lesser benefits. As, the rotating blades of the centrifugal juicers generate heat which usually destroys the vitamins and enzymes in the juice.
- Also, it is crucial to know that after a one-week juice fasting, you need about 2 – 3 days to gradually come back to your regular eating habits. Therefore, it is important that you plan for a total about 9 – 10 days for completing the process.
- Breaking the fast is equally important as the fast itself, as the digestive power reduces during the juice fasting. So you have to gradually increase the digestive fire and bring it back to normal before getting back to your normal food routine.
- The juice fasting should be broken by drinking lemon juice or orange juice in the morning. On the first day just after breaking your juice fast you can have raw juicy fruits, honey, vegetable soups, boiled vegetables, etc. as these are all easy to digest. Also, make sure you chew your fruits thoroughly and swallow them slowly and gradually.
If you do this you will lose considerable amount of weight before your wedding.
B) Intermittent Fasting of Water Fasting
Intermittent fasting or water fasting is also gaining popularity these days. Water fasting is considered as the most effective way to give a break to the digestive system. Water fasting not only frees up energy so that healing can begin in the body, but also it allows the system to repair itself and bring back the ability to digest any food. Also, it can cure or prevent any disease that may manifest in the future.
Water fasting strictly involves not eating anything, except taking water, for a particular period of time – ranging from half a day to even 21 days or more. More often than not, practitioners do a 24-hour water fast, once every week to maintain their health. Intermittent fasting is the most effective ways to lose weight.
Also, people have misconception about intermittent water fasting that it can make you weak. However, that is not true. On the contrary, it improves your health and vitality. You will feel more energetic after the water fast.
- Before starting your water fast, you should know that when you start fasting, the body will trigger your pituitary gland to release the HGH (Human Growth Hormone). This hormonal surge will cause your body to use more fat for energy, instead of breaking down muscle.
- When your digestive system is working below par, the body can no longer absorb the nutrients completely. However, undigested and partially digested food forms a lining on the stomach and intestines which is called ‘Aama’ in Ayurveda. This ‘Aama’ is a nothing but a toxin and can spread into the body and cause diseases. Water fasting however, is the most effective way of reversing this process.
- Water fasting pulls out the toxins back into the intestines and these toxins can be flushed out though the rectum. More often than not, an enema is taken, as a good practice during water fasting, to flush this toxin quickly out of the system.
- Water fasting directly works on the root cause of the problem and keeps the body toxin-free and energetic.
- You can start water fasting with a one-day water fast so as to maintain the health and vigor. And gradually you can take up long term fasts, anything from 3 days to 21 days of water fast. Moreover, most ailments can be cured by moderate diet and fasting under the guidance of an expert.
- Also, breaking the fast is equally important as the fast itself. When the body goes without food for many days, it sort of gets used to it. The digestive fire in the body goes down. At that time, you cannot eat or digest large quantities of food. It will come as a shock to the system, if you consume solid food. So you have to gradually increase the digestive fire and bring it back to normal routine.
- You can break your water by drinking lemon juice or orange juice. On the first day just after breaking the fast, don’t take anything else except lemon or orange juice, that too about 3 – 5 times in a day. If you feel too much hungry, you can add half a spoon of pure honey to the juice, to get some calories intake.
- Water fast be it 3 days or 21 days will give tremendous health benefits. As when our digestive system works without any rest, day and night, a water fast will give the much needed rest to the entire digestive system to repair and heal itself. Toxins will be removed and you will feel more energetic and vigor.
- Water fasting will improve immunity and gives longevity.
- Water fasting is the easiest way to lose weight. You may lose anything from 1 – 3 kg during a 3-day fast only. But remember that you can gain back most of this weight once you return to normal food. So, it is crucial that you follow a controlled diet after the fast that can help you in maintaining the weight reduction.
- You can integrate fasting with yoga management for further benefits.
However, a balanced life is considered to be the one in which you are happy, calm, and relaxed. And, when you are balanced, aware, and mindful, you will be able to manifest your dream weight! Your wedding preparation will already be full of running and lot of time taking. You may easily get tired and frustrated. It is crucial that you are happy and full of energy. Here is how you can be happy and energetic along with shedding some extra pounds too:
5. PRANAYAMA FOR WEIGHT LOSS & MIND FULLNESS
Pranayama is an excellent breathing exercise for your overall health. It not only helps you release any kind of anxiety, but also strengthens your energy positively. Pranayama is a great way of energizing the body and mind simultaneously along with losing weight. Here is a list of pranayama series:
- Bhastrika Pranayama: It involves forceful inhalation and exhalation of breath. This pranayama technique increases the level of oxygen in the blood.
- Kapalbhati Pranayama: A great way to detoxify the body, as, the technique helps in expelling carbon-di-oxide from the blood. Also, it helps lose weight from tummy areas as the breathing technique majorly affect the tummy area.
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama: Also called alternate nostril breathing exercise. It is a simple breathing exercise–very much known to balance the Tridoshas (three doshas) in the body namely Vata, Pitta and Kapha. More often, imbalanced tridoshas in the body causes ailments. Anulom Vilom is probably the easiest and the most effective way to stay healthy and have a calm mind.
- Bhramari Pranayama: Commonly known as bee breathing exercise. It involves humming like a bee, with ears covered with the forefingers and thumbs. Bhramari pranayama calms the nerves and soothes them especially around the brain and forehead.
- Ujjayi Pranayama: Also called the psychic breath. It is done by constricting the throat and inhaling with hissing sound. This technique helps to improve the health of the thyroid and clears toxins from the body.
- Udgeet Pranayama: It involves chanting of OM (AUM) with every exhalation, lasting to 20 seconds. Good for improved focus and concentration.
- DIrgha Pranayama: Also called the Three-Part Breath. This is a calming, grounding, and physiologically profound practice that subsequently calms the nervous system and the mind.
- Sheetali Pranayama: This technique is also known as Cooling Breath Technique. It is an easy, yet an effective way to cool the body and tranquilize the mind, while concurrently expelling toxins from the body.
To pan out…
This is how you can reduce your weight and also can have a perfect look on your wedding day. As, yoga along with pranayama will give you a vibrant and lustrous natural look, your skin will shine naturally due to regular practice of yoga, pranayama and meditation and a mindful eating.
Do practice any of these or the combination and see the wonderful changes in yourself not just physical but also emotional and mental which is essential for you are going to start your new life which will definitely unfold in several new ways. And you will need to face all the changes that can be done with a calm and peaceful mind.