Kerala, a south Indian state on India’s tropical Malabar Coast is most commonly known as the “God’s Own Country”. The place is the land of tranquil backwaters, lush green surroundings, beautiful monsoon, romantic houseboats, breathtakingly beautiful palm-lined beaches, network of canals, and amazing cuisine. The inland of Kerala are the Western Ghats, its mountains’ slopes support tea, coffee and spice plantations. The place is famous for many National parks such as Periyar and Eravikulam, Wayanad. These parks are home to elephants, monkeys and tigers.
Kerala is one of the popular destinations not only nationally but internationally. Kerala is a home to many unspoiled beaches and pristine sands. The beauty of the place make it the perfect destination wedding location.
A perfect choice for destination wedding!
Besides being famous as honeymoon destination, now the place is picking up as a perfect wedding destination in India. Kerala is one of the most sought after wedding destination in the country. Many couples chose to get wed-locked in Kerala amidst fringed beaches, tranquil backwaters, palm trees, hills, so as to have the best natural backdrops of all times at their wedding. Choosing to tie the knot in Kerala will not only make your special day unforgettable, but also will give your guests a great reason to vacation.
Kerala is an ultimate place for a proper destination wedding. Major beach destinations in Kerala to consider for your destination wedding are; Alleppey, Kovalam, Munnar, Wayanad, Varkala. Sky is the limit for tying knot in Kerala. The place is not just meant for a beach wedding, but one can go for almost any type of wedding here from a hill wedding to a wedding in backwaters. Avenues are endless here. The place is full of deadliest beach resorts, private luxury resort, inns which you can book entirely for all your wedding functions.
If you’re planning to tie knot in Kerala and want to explore more details then this article is meant for you. Here are the top 15 reasons why should you consider Kerala as a destination for your wedding…
1. It is God’s own country no doubt
Famous for its backwaters and fringed beaches, Kerala is actually God’s own country. Because it is such a serene place that it can only belong to God. It is yogi’s paradise, besides vacationing here in Kerala. People love to spend time to meditate in some retreat centers. Truly a spectacular place on earth. Just imagine you saying your wedding vows amidst the most scenic backdrops of nation, will no less then be a fairy-tale. If you are looking for an extra ordinary stunning wedding, it is the place for you, undoubtedly.
2. Kerala offers myriads of wedding types
Kerala is the only place which offers myriads of wedding types depending on your choice and preferences. For an instance if you are planning your wedding on the hills, at the backwaters, in a houseboat, at the side beach, in a temple, on a private luxury resort, or in a church. The place is so welcoming that you can plan any type of wedding here in Kerala. While planning your wedding, just see beforehand what type of destination wedding you want in Kerala and accordingly you can plan or brief your wedding planner also.
3. Kerala, a complete package!
Kerala makes a complete wedding package with its stunning privately owned luxury resorts, pristine sandy beaches, distinct and vibrant south Indian culture, hills, beautiful weather, and palm groves. Simply makes it perfect for an idyllic and stunning wedding.
4. The place has something for everyone
Whether you are a backpacker or a newly-wed couple, an adventure freak or looking to host a wedding here in Kerala. The place has something for everyone. God’s own country is not only full of scenic and breathtaking views, but also it offers tons of fun activities for one and all from elephant bathing to coffee plantation visit, budget dorms to luxury hotels, anything you are looking for – it is available.
5. Kerala is full of wedding planners and vendors
Planning a wedding whether yours or somebody else’s is never easy, especially when you plan for some distant location, away from your home. And the simple reason is you’re not familiar with the place. While you plan for your destination wedding the first concern is wedding vendors or wedding planners. Well, if you are planning to get hitched here in town, worry not! Ever since Kerala has picked up as a popular wedding destination in India, it has given rise to many wedding vendors and wedding planners.
You can get customized wedding packages according to your choice, preferences, and budget. There are many wedding agencies or planners in Kerala, who can help you book your wedding venue, arrange villa or hotel accommodation for your guests, take care of catering, décor etc. Also, they ensure that all your and your guests’ needs are met at all times.
6. Cost of hosting wedding in Kerala
Well, the cost of hosting a destination wedding in Kerala will vary. Kerala cares for everyone, so it offers wedding packages for almost all the budgets. However, a three day intimate wedding on an average may cost you from 10 – 12 lakhs in Kerala. If budget is not a constraint then you can even throw a lavish wedding party here in Kerala with as many as possible people you would want to attend your wedding. There are many luxury hotels, resorts, inns here. Besides, there are many budget resorts in Kerala. If you go for an off season wedding then chances are you may get best deals for hosting your wedding in budget.
7. Endless opportunities for your guests
Well, in a wedding, whether in home town or in other location, taking care of every guests’ needs is a bit task. But, if you choose Kerala as your wedding destination, your guests will take care of themselves that too without having any complaint. Because place has so much that even if the person has visited it earlier, will have something still to explore. And for first timers what to say, a perfect trip which includes your wedding and their excursions. Kerala is full of endless opportunities and possibilities to keep your family and friends busy.
A perfect place for peace seekers, they can indulge themselves in visiting Kochi fort, staying in houseboats, jeep ride to Periyar National Park, bamboo rafting, train journey etc. Even your family and friends can get busy in some therapies and massages. Needless to say it is the best place for women for saree shopping.
8. Perfect location for most stunning wedding photos
Your wedding pictures are for lifetime and make the best memories of your wedding. In Kerala, you have opportunities to take photos on a houseboat, at the backwaters, at the side of a mesmerizing beach, near the palm groves etc. If you want to go a little wilder then getting wedding pictures on an elephant will look stunning. If you love mountains then there are many slopes to look forward. And not to forget the most mesmerizing tea plantation of Kerala for making your wedding pictures most stunning.
9. Place has some seriously amazing wedding venues.
The place has some seriously stunning wedding venues such as,
- The Leela Kovalam, the only cliff top beach resort in India that allows couples to have a luxurious yet relaxed wedding experience, perfect for your beach wedding in Kerala.
- Lake Palace Resort in Alleppey, for a perfect houseboat wedding, located on the lines of Vembanad Lake. The Resort has two large luxury houseboats – Maharani and Rajdhani, you can use them for different wedding celebrations.
- The Spice Tree, a premium boutique luxury resort, located in the Idukki district, Munnar, perfect venue for your intimate destination wedding.
- For a temple wedding, you can consider Guruvayur Temple, or Shree Krishna temple, these temples are considered the most auspicious and sacred in Kerala to begin your new journey.
- Udaya Samudra Resort, a beautiful 5-star property just a few minutes away from the Kovalam Beach, it is one of the largest resorts in Kerala with 225 rooms and villas and three swimming pools, has a lawn facing the beach for holding a big fat wedding for up to 1,500 guests.
- Kumarakom Lake Resort, best resort for a backwaters wedding, it offers luxurious accommodations and a relaxing environment, perfect for an intimate or a large wedding.
10. Place to savor on most delicious south Indian cuisine
Though the place offers almost every kind of cuisine but the local meal has its own charm that no one can deny. Kerala is famous for its food, which is cooked with coconut, rice and locally prepared herbs and spices. Destination wedding in Kerala will give you and your guests an opportunity to slurp on the traditional cuisine of Kerala. When in Kerala you can’t miss to savor on local food, which includes Puttu & Kadala Curry, Idiyappam & Egg Curry, Appam, Pathiri, Malabari Chicken Biryani (most preferred food of non-vegetarian’s), Avial, Pazham Pori, Payasam, and not to forget Banana Chips (Snack of all time). The main ingredients used in cooking these traditional food items are mostly coconut and rice.
11. Perfect destination for an intimate wedding
Kerala is a great place for those who are looking for an intimate style wedding just with few attendees. Kerala has myriads of options to choose for your intimate celebration from a budget hotel to a five star private property. Even the place is good enough to hold a big fat wedding for up to 1500+ wedding guests. The choice is absolutely yours whichever way you want it to be.
12. Best time for saying ‘I Do’ in Kerala
Kerala is a place with pleasant weather all around the year. So, it can be visited anytime in the summer season and the monsoon season. However, for hosting a destination wedding in Kerala the best time is from October to March. The weather during these months is pleasant and proper to host either an outdoor day wedding or evening beach side ceremony.
13. Perfect place to host your pre-wedding celebrations or rituals
Whether yours is a Hindu wedding, a Christian wedding, or a Muslim wedding, the place is perfect to start your wedding with a pre-wedding bash. The place has enough reasons that one should conduct his/her pre-wedding functions or celebrations here only. The idyllic and scenic locations here are more than enough to have your different wedding functions in different places. For an instance holding your bachelor party in a house boat will be a perfect idea. Then, you can get your pre-wedding shoot done in some romantic location or the couple shoot of the wedding at the backwaters of Kerala or at the tea estate. You can go creative while you are in Kerala for your wedding.
14. A perfect reason to spend some fun time with your friends & family
As you know already these are few days with your family and friends, so you have the opportunity to make the best out of it. You can land in Kerala a few days before your wedding with your family and close friends, whosoever you want to spend your time with. Just spend some fun time with your people, talk to them, share your thoughts and emotions, and listen to what they feel about your departure after your wedding and so on so forth. You will have so much fun and all this will de-stress you from wedding pressure, which is good for that matter.
Kerala is best to get into some meditation retreat before your wedding to de-stress yourself. Live, love, eat, explore, enjoy and have fun with your loved ones before you begin your new life with your significant other.
15. Double it with your honeymoon destination.
Last but not the least, if you haven’t chosen your honeymoon destination yet, or if you are not keen to explore an international location for your honeymoon, then let me tell you that Kerala makes one of the best honeymoon destinations in India. It has everything for people who are looking for a beachy honeymoon amidst palm groves. Kerala is the most scenic place and mesmerizing also.
If you are hosting your wedding in a private resort then you can shift to a private house-boat for your honeymoon. There you will have ample time to spend in each other’s arms. It will not only save your logistical cost but also the time and efforts you will put into traveling to some other location just after your wedding. It can be tiring also. So, to avoid any kind of post-wedding stress, best is to extend your days in Kerala to honeymoon here. Bid adieu to your friends and family and start your honeymoon the day after your wedding.
Few more tips
I think now you have enough reasons to say YES to the place, to say ‘I Do’ here. There are few more tips for you while you plan your wedding here in Kerala.
- Reaching Kerala is easy. There are five airports in Kerala as mentioned below. You can choose the nearest to your wedding location
Cochin International Airport
Trivandrum International Airport
Calicut International Airport
Kannur International Airport
Kottayam International Airport
- Make sure you check the weather conditions beforehand.
- As soon as you get clarity on type of wedding, book your venue well in advance. For, if you are getting wed-locked in peak season it will be difficult to get bookings later.
- Check transport connectivity and reachability to your wedding venue.
- If you find it difficult to make arrangements on your own in Kerala & budget is not a problem, it’s better to hire a professional wedding planner. They will help you have your wedding the way you have always envisioned it.
- Talk to your wedding planner and know about all the legal formalities required for the wedding in the state. Also, the other details like alcohol restrictions (if any) etc.
- If you are planning to host different functions in different places, book places very well in advance.
- Even if you are thinking of honeymooning here… Book your honeymoon resort or houseboat in advance. Because later it may be difficult to get bookings, especially in peak season.
Rest all is good to Go ahead… Happy Wedding….. ☺ ☺