Destination weddings are very exciting, the name only gives some rush in blood. And why not, after all your dream of getting hitched in some fairy tale location is coming true. So, excitement is natural. But, with excitement there are other things also that come with destination wedding and that is proper planning and execution.
There is no problem in getting hitched in some different location, but you have to be sure that things are done properly. Like while making your bookings you have to make sure that your venue provides you with table centerpieces, decor, menus, etc. And then comes your packing for your destination wedding, of course you cannot take everything there, but all the essentials are needed to be taken along. It’s always good to have less to lug through the airport. Believe you me, the lesser your luggage the happier you’ll be.
More often than not, a destination wedding is followed by honeymoon, because almost always a destination wedding takes place in a charming place. So, while packing for your wedding you need to pack for your honeymoon too. Usually, the standard length of a honeymoon is typically 7 days, and considering many couples prefer to get hitched in some beachy location, which means warm climates, so, I believe this packing list will be helpful for most destination brides. Here we go…
First things first, the most important items to be packed are:
- Passport – (Yours and your loved ones) A valid passport is necessary if you’re planning a destination wedding, as you will need to travel to other countries. Check your passport’s expiration dates well in advance. Also, do check the formalities required in the country you have planned your wedding in. In some countries your passport need to have at least 6 months to expire. If it so, please check.
- Your wedding rings – Of course it is a must ☺ ☺
- Wedding attires
- Your Wedding Veil
- Your wedding shoes – If you’re getting hitched on a beach, prefer buying flat sandals. Because wedges or any other style would make it difficult for you to walk on your beach wedding.
- Visas (wherever required)
- Photo copies of your birth certificates
- Your passport size photos (if in case you need them)
- Air tickets
- Your complete travel itinerary
- Credit & Debit Cards – If you have a travel card, that’s great!! Pack it!! Also, make sure to alert your bank of your travel plans beforehand.
- Travelers’ checks/cash – Some cash is always required even if you are carrying cards. Sometimes few places only deal in cash, or maybe card doesn’t work due to any reason.
And yeah, except your wedding attire, shoes, and wedding veil, everything else needs to be packed in your handbag that you will carry. Also, do not check-in your wedding dress and wedding veil, carry them with you. Of course, you don’t want to be wedding dress-less if by chance your luggage gets lost in transit. So better put your wedding day attire and shoes in a garment bag and stow it in the overhead bin of the plane. It is good to plan things accordingly.
Destination wedding day essentials, to be packed are:
- Wedding Jewelry, which includes earrings, bracelet, necklace
- Wedding favors or welcome bags – If you have planned to give something special to your wedding guests such as a memento, or a souvenir. Otherwise you can gift them or local craft work that you can purchase from the country you are getting hitched. Because bringing favors for the entire party from your home country will take a huge space.
- Smartphone loaded with music for your reception
- Wedding Vows – If you have already written them.
- Flat shoes/slippers for dancing at the reception
- Bridal make-up kit – For the wedding, you can have your makeup done by the hotel spa, so that you only bring everyday makeup with you.
- Tiara or hair clip
- Cake topper
- Wedding Programs
- Menu (If your venue is not providing it)
- Seating chart
- Place cards/Table Numbers (if you have DIYed them)
- Aisle runner
- Traditional Ceremony celebration items, such as Unity candle or sand ceremony supplies
- Ring bearer accessories (i.e. Pillow)
- Decorations (if your venue is not providing or if you have DIYed)
- Wedding reception gown and shoes
- Wedding night lingerie/undergarments
Pack them all in a garment bag and stow it to the bin overhead in the plane.
Important documents to be packed are:
- Vendor contact info list
- Copies of all wedding vendors, resorts, and venue contracts
- Copies of advance payments made to vendors, venue, and resort.
- Marriage certificate – if you have already had your legal wedding ceremony at your home country and will be having a religious ceremony abroad.
- Receipts of wedding favors or welcome bags (As you might need to show while crossing Borders & Customs)
- Copies of any vaccination document, medical prescriptions, or health insurance cards.
- Printouts of all your email communications with your wedding vendors and contracts. Basically, you should carry your wedding planning binder that contains all the details of your wedding planning.
- Trip insurance
- Phone number of the closest embassy
Toiletries and personal items needed to be packed are:
- Bobby pins and hair ties
- Hair brush and comb
- Shampoo and conditioner – See if your hotel supply these items. If they do, then you don’t need to pack your own.
- Body wash and soap – This also check with your hotel.
- Body lotion
- Face lotion – The one which you use and suitable to your skin tone.
- Good sunscreen lotion – That has highest SPF (Make sure you use it, because the last thing you would want on your wedding day is sunburn or obvious tan lines.)
- Disposable razor
- Chap stick
- Aloe Vera gel
- Nail clippers / file
- Contacts and solution – It’s comparatively easier to just toss them out at the end of the night, rather to keep cleaning and storing one pair for the week.
- Extra Contact lenses
- Reading glasses – You might have to read and sign many other papers out there
- Sunglasses – Very important ☺ ☺
- Insect repellent
- Nail clippers
- Nail filer/Emory board
- Nail paint and nail paint remover
Hair and Makeup items needed to be packed are:
- Makeup items such as eyeliner, mascara, lipsticks, lip gloss, blush, foundation, eye shadow, concealer etc.
- Makeup brushes, sponge, or beauty blenders
- Moisturizer, face cream, eye cream, etc.
- Makeup remover
- Hair gel
- Hairspray – Get a light one if yours is a beach wedding, because you will spend a lot of time by the salty ocean breeze.
- Hair straightener or curling iron
Electronics needed to be packed are:
- Camera – Your DSLR will very much be needed when you two will be honeymooning to capture more private moments or when you and your girls will be enjoying bachelorette or to simply capture precious moments before and after the wedding. So, even if you hired a photographer for your wedding day, you’ll need your camera.
- Cell phone
- E-book – (if you have one)
- iPod – Loaded with all the hits to play at your wedding reception. Make sure you prepare your playlists well in advance.
- Headphones – You will need it for a guided meditation. ☺ ☺
- Chargers and batteries – For your camera, phone, and other devices.
- Memory cards
- Power bank
Clothing needed to be packed are:
- Bathing suits – At least 2, one for sunbathing, and another for recreation.
- Swimsuit cover-up
- Hat – It will help you protect your head from that powerful sun rays!
- Head scarf – It is again for head protection from the powerful sun rays
- Sundresses – At least 3
- Evening gown
- Evening dresses for your bachelorette and cocktail.
- Pair of shorts
- Tanks or camisoles
- Tube tops – You will need to wear them in warm weather.
- Cardigan – It will be used while in plane, airports, and restaurants, where it becomes too cold in AC.
- Pairs of undergarments – At least 7 – 8
- Strapless bra for your strapless outfits
- Regular bra – Convertible one.
- Sports bra – If in case you can’t go without exercise.
- Gym/yoga gears – Bring only if you plan on exercising.
- Pair of pajamas and T-shirts
- Your night wears
- Pair of socks
Shoes needed to be packed are:
Besides your wedding shoes, you will need other shoes as well…
- Flip flops – You will need them for walking to the beach, or around the pool, etc.
- Hiking shoes – If you have planned to hike or some excursion activity.
- Bathroom slippers – If you resort or hotel doesn’t provide them. In most cases they do!
- Wedges – To pair them with your evening gown or other dresses.
Medical items needed to be packed are:
- Contraceptives or birth control pills – Of course, you would not want to get pregnant so immediately.
- Pain reliever and sprays
- Prescribed medicines – If you are one medication for any reason, do bring those medicines along with you. And yeah, don’t forget to bring the prescription.
- Medicines for mild headaches and other illnesses – Change of weather or atmosphere can sometimes cause headache or loose motions.
Honeymoon items needed to be packed are:
- Sexy lingerie and night wears
- Sexy honeymoon dresses
- Evening dresses and shoes for a special dinner with your spouse
- Strapless honeymoon outfits along with strapless bras
- Evening bag and purse
- Sling bag
- Backpack for day exploring
- Guides and maps
- Honeymoon itinerary
Miscellaneous or other items needed to be packed are:
- Groom’s wedding gift
- Bridesmaid’s wedding gifts or favors
- Parent’s gifts
- Luggage locks
- Luggage tags
- Beach bag
- Scissors, ribbon, tape, double sided tape, trinkets etc. for any last minute DIY wedding projects
- Safety pins – In multiple sizes
- Travel sewing kit or mending kit – Prevention is always better than cure! You never know when you will need mending kit, just in case your maid of honor rips your dress while zipping you up. It comes handy… ☺ ☺
I hope the list above helps you pack things perfectly for your destination wedding. These are the items which you need to pack for your destination wedding in some beachy location. However, if you are getting married in some hilly region that too in winters, then you will need to add a few more items to the same list. As, mostly all the items mentioned above will be needed in case of your winter destination wedding or mountain destination wedding as well. Just a few additions and little bit of subtractions will be enough to pack for your winter destination wedding.
However, I have tried to cover everything that you need to pack for your destination wedding. If I have missed on something do mention in the comment box below.
Enjoy your wedding!